Tuesday, June 15, 2010

She Walks in Beauty

I finished the book, She Walks in Beauty, by Siri Mitchell. I have never read anything by this author before and enjoyed reading her book. This book is about a young girl preparing to enter society with the intention of finding a husband. The husband she is to find has already been determined by her aunt and father, and she is to win him at all costs. At first I thought the book seemed a bit overdone, but as I continued to read I decided that I just didn't realize what all went into preparing a girl to debut. However, I still think that some things could have been told with fewer words. There was just the right amount of humor scattered throughout the book that added to the enjoyment. The plot was simple and allowed me to read without having to think. Having said all that I am also very disappointed in this book. A christian author publishing through a christian publisher has such a huge opportunity as well as a responsibility to present the gospel or a christian theme very clearly. Although the main character questions her worth to God the idea was not developed or resolved using God' Word. In fact, on page 340 the author writes, "In fact, I now suspected, her entire theology had been taken from the hymnal." Now I am not against good hymns, and I know that they can be a blessing and an encouragement, but why would the author throw away such a perfect opportunity to present God's Word the Bible as the ultimate authority for our "entire theology?"

I do want to thank Bethany House Publishers for sending me a free copy of this book to preview. I did enjoy reading it.

1 comment: